Useful Information When Considering Breast Enlargement (Augmentation)
Checklist advice from Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
Below is a suggested checklist of some issues recommended to be discussed with the surgeon. There may be others that occur to you during the consultation process. Take the opportunity to make sure that you understand all the medical terms used. If you are considering reconstructive surgery, you will want to discuss the particular aspects of this operation.
Contact the Care Quality Commission by telephone or via its website to ensure that the hospital is registered. See section 10 for contact details.
The experience of the surgeon
• How many successful breast implant operations has he/she done in the past two years?
• How many implants has he/she had complications with?
• Is he/she on the GMC Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery?
• Is he/she a member of a relevant association, e.g. the British Association of Plastic Surgeons, British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons?
The types of implant
• Which implants are available and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
• Ask to see breast implants before the operation.
• What size do you wish to be?
• Be sure to discuss the differences between cup size and implant size.
Cosmetic effects of the operation
• What will be the position of the implants, the position of the scar and the appearance of the scar?
• What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different positions for the incision, through the armpit, (axilla), surrounding the nipple (periareolar), or under the breast (sub-mammary)?
• What are the advantages and disadvantages of placing the implant above or under the muscle?
• Will a general or local anaesthetic be used?
• What is the competence of the anaesthetist? Is it someone the surgeon has worked with regularly?
• How long does the surgery take?
• What are the side effects of the operation, e.g. bruising?
• What kind of response can I expect in the event of an emergency situation?
• Will surgical drains be necessary?
• Will it be necessary to take medication after surgery, to alleviate pain?
• How long is the recovery period?
• How long should I be off work?
Liverpool Cosmetic Clinic offers cosmetic surgery in Liverpool Merseyside and Warrington Cheshire by highly experienced and fully qualified local north west Consultant Plastic Surgeons
Categories: BAAPS, bapras, boob job, breast augmentation, breast enhancement, breast enlargement, breast implants, breast uplift, cosmetic clinic, cosmetic clinic liverpool, cosmetic surgeon cheshire, cosmetic surgeon liverpool, cosmetic surgeon wirral, cosmetic surgery abroad, cosmetic surgery cheshire, cosmetic surgery liverpool, cosmetic weight loss surgery, mastopexy, PIP implants, plastic surgeon cheshire, plastic surgeon liverpool, plastic surgeon wirral, plastic surgery cheshire, Plastic surgery Lancashire, plastic surgery liverpool, procedures, womens procedures